Apr 18, 2011

My Veggie Plan

I am excited.  This year I am renting a garden plot in a community garden to grow vegetables as I no longer have space in my yard.  So as I am sitting here watching the snow melt, I have been thinking about how to go about it.
The first decision I had to make was what size would meet my needs.  I opted for a 10 x 20 foot plot, which would adequately provide enough vegetables for my family as well as room for vegetables that take up a lot of growing space.  My family has already put in their order as to what we should grow.   This is based on what they like, what we can grow in a short growing season and what we had to eliminate due to allergies.  The list consists of lettuce, spinach, onions, carrots, beets, beans, potatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and of course tomatoes.  There are many more vegetables we can grow here, just ensure there is enough growing time to enjoy them at the end of the season.
I will be anxious to plant these crops but must be patient for a couple of reasons.  First I have to wait until I can get into the garden without compacting the soil and then I need to prepare the soil so that I have at least 12 to 18 inches of rich, deep, soft, loamy soil.  I may have to add some top soil and lots of organic matter (i.e. compost or peat moss) to get a nice balance between clay, sand, silt and humus.  This will also help to create a soil composition that retains water and nutrients for the plants and drains properly when needed.  Don't underestimate how important it is to continually work at a good garden soil.
Once the soil is ready, I can plant.  Typically I can plant once the danger of frost has passed (the May long weekend is often our guide in Alberta).  But it also depends on whether I start the vegetables from seed or transplant.  Cool season vegetables can be started  by seed up to 5 weeks before the last frost.  These crops are sometimes sown in the fall for the following spring and include asparagus, beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, garlic, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, onions, parsnips, peas, potatoes, radishes, rutabaga, spinach, swiss chard and turnips.  Some vegetables are more frost sensitive and should be planted on or just prior to the last frost.  These are considered the tender vegetables and include beans, corn and zucchini.  Finally the heat-loving vegetables should be planted 1 to 2 weeks after the last frost.  These include your tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, peppers, squash and pumpkins and you may consider transplanting rather than seeding to get a good head start.  Even with these guidelines, we must always be prepared to protect young plants from a late season frost.
Next is arranging your vegetable garden.  There is no right or wrong way.  Just consider what you are planting, how much you are planting, the space each crop needs and the sun requirements for each plant.  Typically gardens are planted in rows running east to west, with the taller plants on the north end to maximize the amount of sunlight each plant receives.  However, gardens can be planted in rows, squares or whatever arrangement maximizes the harvest and is easy to maintain.
Once my garden has been planted, I will have to provide a good, steady supply of water every week.  It is especially important from the time seeds are sown until a couple of weeks after they sprout.  As a general rule, vegetables need at least one inch of water per week, but ideally vegetables should never be allowed to dry out.  This year I will be applying a straw mulch in between the rows and around the vegetables to help keep the soil moist and the weeds down.
This is my plan and I am ready to go!  How about you?

No comments: